[rescue] Sun 711

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 2 09:49:14 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 05:07:52PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Big Endian wrote:
>
> > You mean intel processors are suited to be somewhere?  Where?
>
> yes, video games. The processors are stuffed with short displacment
> address modes, little integer arithmetic, etc. The fact that they support
> (realtively) long addresses, long integers, and long floating point numbers,
> makes them useable for real operating systems.

I disagree about them being very good for video games.  Small caches and lack
of registers, etc.  Better to take something good, like an r5k, and add what
you want.  I believe that the PS2 EE chips are based on a heavily modified
32bit chip (I hear conflicting reports about them using an r3k core and an
r5k core).

PowerPCs are used in the Nintendo box.

--
Joshua D. Boyd