[rescue] Sun 711

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu May 2 00:46:35 CDT 2002

<snip>
>   Yes.  The Itanium promised to sweep away all (at least most) of the
> x86 cruft, but it's DOA.

I wouldnt say its DOA, its just not very good there's a difference ;-) Intel
hasnt officially cancelled it, and I doubt they will no matter what the
indications are now because it would put them too far behind AMD in a
competitive situation. Even more importantly, and quite possibly a bigger
threat it would put them even further away from SUN in the high end
competition. That's where the real money is and Itanium would have let them
compete there, especially with the support HP/Compaq was giving them.

Imagine if a new UltraSparc-III cost the same as an equivalent MHz P4 ;-)

> > I mean is there any reason why a processor designed in 2000
> should still run
> > an operating system designed in 1981?
>
>   ...and implement an architecture designed in 1976?

Other than to play games with a dos boot disk that is. I still have friends
who do it all the time.

Chris Byrne