[rescue] Sun 711

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Thu May 2 00:41:19 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:54:59AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   What is this "pull" to use PeeCees for this sort of stuff?  Why not
> just use computers that were designed for this much I/O in the first
> place?  Does Intel give out some sort of prize that I'm unaware of for
> plastering their processors into places they're really not suited to
> be?

Because, frankly, this is a 'dumb' task. If all you're doing is taking
images from a disk and throwing them into a framebuffer, then you need to
throw bus and clock speeds at it and this is what Intel excels at. The cost
of graphics hardware for a high-end solution is a waste of money-- for this
particular application. You could put together a machine to do this with a
trip to Fry's.

David