[rescue] Sun 711

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu May 2 00:36:52 CDT 2002

On May 2, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Well I must admit, they do have this tendency to be extremely stingy with
> registers and cache. And I dont think anyone would call the xeon a real
> server processor. I mean its now just a standard production line core with
> more cache.

  ...segmented addressing.  Need I say more?

> The x86 architecture should have died out long ago. Instead its turning into
> a cruft upon cruft situation.

  Yes.  The Itanium promised to sweep away all (at least most) of the
x86 cruft, but it's DOA.

> I mean is there any reason why a processor designed in 2000 should still run
> an operating system designed in 1981?

  ...and implement an architecture designed in 1976?

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                                 "Mmmm.  Big."
St. Petersburg, FL                                -Den