[rescue] Sun 711

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 2 00:29:19 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:54:59AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 1, nick at snowman.net wrote:
> > Hey, if you end up managing this let us (or at least me) know.  I'd be
> > really intrested to hear what kind of intel hardware it'd take to push
> > that kind of throughput.
>
>   What is this "pull" to use PeeCees for this sort of stuff?  Why not
> just use computers that were designed for this much I/O in the first
> place?  Does Intel give out some sort of prize that I'm unaware of for
> plastering their processors into places they're really not suited to
> be?

Yes, it is called hardware that publicly say it will do what is needed.
Where as an Octane claims that it has no video modes that will do what is
needed, even though I believe it can be tweaked to do the job anyway.

Further, this is where the affordable IO hardware lives, although at least
OS X is here now to deliver some comfort.

--
Joshua D. Boyd