[rescue] Sun 711

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Wed May 1 21:53:00 CDT 2002

On Wednesday 01 May 2002 10:44 pm, you wrote:
> Actually George, the only compaq machine that would have both the PCI bus
> bandwidth (at least two 64/66 busses) and the number of slots needed (at
> least two on each bus) is the new DL590/64. All the other systems only have
> two 64/66 slots or all their 64/66 are on one bus, or some other
> combination that wont work for sustained 300MB/s.

I think that a 4 channel U160 Controller doing hardware striping with 4
drives per channel should be able to handle 300MB/sec on a 64bit/66mhz PCI
bus all by itself...

Remember, we're not talking about losing bandwidth due to contention here...

Also, look at the numbers for PCI-X. I think the current incarnation is 32
bits @ 100 mhz or 133 mhz...  that should be enough bandwidth to support two
controllers on the same bus and provide > 300MB/sec throughput.

George