[rescue] Sun 711

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Wed May 1 17:37:59 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 15:17, Monty Walls wrote:
> On Wed, 1 May 2002 17:06:54 -0500
> "Shawn Wallbridge" <swallbridge at franticfilms.com> wrote:
>
> > Just wondering if the Sun 711 can take Ultra-160 SCSI drives and operate at
> > U160 speeds.
> >
> > I need to figure out how to get 300MB/s (uncompressed 2K video) sustained on
> > a machine. I am thinking two U160 PCI (64/66) RAID controllers with two
> > 711's filled with 36GB 15k rpm Cheetah's.
> >

> I'd opt for 2 PCI(64/66) Bus's first.
> then 2 FC-AL adapters per bus (or U160s).  Need to allow for Murphy...

I think you'd need 3 FC-AL adapters to get 300MB/sec.

What sort of a machine are you going to put this in?  You shouldn't
saturate a single 64/66 PCI bus, but there won't be a lot of space left
over for, say, networking, or anything else.  Two PCI busses would be
Better.  I think you'll want some pretty decent processors, and a
boatload of ram if you're going to do this with software striping.  What
platform are you thinking of using?  SPARC, SGI?  Not x86, we trust.
:-)
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.