[rescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #2969 - 16 msgs

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Fri Mar 29 07:44:06 CST 2002

> I can't vouch for every Indy, but the ones I've seen all have the
> ethernet address on the back.

 Mine has the mac-address on the back too. And it's not that hard to write it
down; you could always grab it out of the cache of a switch/router if you
forgot that.

> In defense of the Indy:
>
>     * If you have a Sony power supply and a decent hard disk, the Indy
>       is almost silent
>
>     * It's slim, trim, & lightweight

 Lightweight is a bit overstated. My Indybag weighs 15Kgs fully loaded, I
wouldn't call that lightweight (OK it's lighter than an Indigo2bag).

* Looks really cool

> Indy Drawbacks:

* Expansion: Only 1 scsi bus and two giod slots.

* Frame buffers: No TRAMs.

>     * The NVRAM issue is a good reason to avoid them.

 You could always buy a new NVRAM and reprogram, but I think I also heard that
there were pins on the NVRAM for an external battery backup. I haven't had my
NVRAM fail, so I haven't looked that up.

> >     * The bang for buck ratio isn't as good with the Indy, either.
>
> That "bang" is the Nidec/Power General power supply letting all the
> magic smoke out. 8-)

 ATX power supplies will also work with a bit of tinkering.

  Michiel