[rescue] Tandem badged Indigo2

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Fri Mar 29 07:11:27 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 07:58:55AM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> On Friday 29 March 2002 04:38 am, you wrote:
> > I rescued yesterday my first SGI system ! A complete Indigo2, 150MHz
> > R4400, 64MB, with screen, keyboard, bells and whistles...
> >
> > One strange thing about this machine is that the front panel reads
> > TANDEM instead of Indigo2 ! Apart from that, it looks like a standard
> > Indigo2, running 5.3, except for une thing :

ISTR hearing about "Tandem badged" machines and there certainly have
been SGI (and Sun) machines from clone makers or rebadgers or whatever
that have usually been made or modified a bit to suit a specific
purpose. Maybe the OEM/VAR wanted something different in hardware
without all the design headache in making a whole system of their own.

> > After spending an hour removing dust accumulated in this system, I
> > noticed that the audio subsystem isn't present ! On the rear, the
> > place where audio connectors should be is obturated with a steel
> > plate, and there is an empty connector on the motherboard.

I have no idea why that could be. Maybe there is something curious that
could have been attached to it.

--
And like the fellow said, 911 is basically a pig and you can't
make a racehorse out of a pig. But you can make a really