[rescue] 1st SGI purchase

Guy Yasko gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp
Fri Mar 29 04:34:56 CST 2002

    Jonathan> On 28 Mar 2002, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
    >>  What NVRAM issue?  I only know about the power supply issue...

    Jonathan> The Ethernet address (and, thus, the system
    Jonathan> id/serial-number) is stored in the battery-backed NVRAM.
    Jonathan> So, if you purchase any nodelocked software and don't
    Jonathan> write down your Ethernet address before the battery
    Jonathan> dies, you've just lost all your software.

    Jonathan> Even if you don't use nodelocked software, it's a PITA,
    Jonathan> and I don't think the Indy has the Ethernet address
    Jonathan> written on the label like the Indigo2 does.

I can't vouch for every Indy, but the ones I've seen all have the
ethernet address on the back.

In defense of the Indy:

    * If you have a Sony power supply and a decent hard disk, the Indy
      is almost silent

    * It's slim, trim, & lightweight

Indy Drawbacks:

    * The NVRAM issue is a good reason to avoid them.

    * The bang for buck ratio isn't as good with the Indy, either.

Guy Yasko -- gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp

I know things about TROY DONAHUE that can't even be PRINTED!!