[rescue] Re: SGI Video - PC Monitor (*)

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri Mar 29 01:16:01 CST 2002

On Thursday 28 March 2002 10:21 pm, you wrote:
> I hate to bring this thread back up, but I just got my I2 today and I'm
> trying to get something to display it with.
>
> I have a 13W3 -> HD15 borrowed from an RS/6K box.  The cable is good
> because it works on my SS20.  However, my 19" SVGA won't display anything.
> It's reporting 0khz horizontal and 72.2khz vertical.  This tells me that
> the hsync line is either grounded or not connected and the vsync line
> probably is connected.  I think this is responsible for confusing my
> monitor into thinking it has composite sync instead of SOG.  Does anyone
> concur?

I have some information that I recently used to get a Sun badged 20D10
working on my Indigo, it includes the SGI and Sun 13w3 pinouts, (they're
different) it may help,

Excerpt follows:
______________________
>         I was wondering whether it's OK to use Sun monitors on SGI
>         computers. More specifically, GDM-20D10 and GDM-17E10 - both
>         are actually manufactured by Sony, just like the SGI monitors
>         but don't share the exact same model codes (SGI ones are
>         GDM-20D11 and GDM-17E11). Are there any technical differences
>         between the models or are they only different from the
>         outside? I would like to use the abovementioned Sun monitors
>         on a Indigo R4k XZ.
For SGI low end and mid range systems it should be possible to use a
SUN monitor.  The SUN monitor wants composite sync and the SGI monitor wants
sync on green.  SGI low end and mid range systems output composite sync
(CSYNC) on pin 3 of the 13W3 connector.  The SUN monitor needs CSYNC on pin 5
of its 13W3 connector.
               13W3 pinouts
-----------------------------
Pin             SUN                             SGI
           Many Systems                 Low End & Mid Range Systems
                                                   (Indigo, Indigo 2 , Indy)
-----------------------------
 A1     Red analog video                Red analog video
 A2     Green analog video              Green analog video
 A3     Blue analog video               Blue analog video
  1     DDC SCL (serial clock)          Mon.type 3
  2     DDC power (5.0V) (Fused)        Mon.type 0
  3     No connection                   CSYNC Composite Sync Output
  4     Ground (DDC return)             HDRIVE Horizontal Drive Output
  5     Composite sync                  VDRIVE Vertical Drive Output
  6     DDC SDA (serial data)           Mon.type 1
  7     Vertical sync                   Mon.type 2
  8     No connection                   GND Ground
  9     No connection                   GND Ground
 10     Ground (sync return)            GND Ground