[rescue] 1st SGI purchase

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Mar 28 19:19:38 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 05:46:43PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On March 28, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > > 2) play with 3D stuff/animation/artsy stuff.
> >
> > You probably want an Octane for that.  They're also insanely cheap.
>
>   An I^2 Impact system will do great for this stuff too, for all but
> the most demanding [read: "Joshua Boyd" ;)] 3D applications.

I^2s are nice.  The thing that makes me want a newer machine isn't high
performance 3D.  It is the massive amounts of data needed for uncompressed
video.  If I just wanted 3D, an I2 would make me so happy.

Heck, if GIO scsi cards weren't so hard to come by (not to mention the
personal video option, or whatever they called it), even an I2 would be
great.  It just that in this day and age, life is too short for compressed
video.

--
Joshua D. Boyd