[rescue] 1st SGI purchase

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Thu Mar 28 17:05:21 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 06:09:46PM -0500, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> I think I got lucky on this particular I2, but it does imply
> that deals are out there.  It looks as though the Indigo 2s
> are a sweet spot right now with several Impact-ready or
> Impact-equipped ones showing up in the last month on ePay.

i think you got lucky, but your point is valid.  if you aearch and are willing
to piece the system together, you can get a great deal.  but if not, right
now I^2 machines are going for around $300 and Octanes are going for around
$500 on ebay.  so looking at it from that point of view, i would vote on getting
an Octane since they ROCK.  from what i understand, the R10K is being crippled
in the I^2 for lack of bus bandwidth, but that is definitely not the case in
the Octane.  Switched Crossbar Busses KICK ASS.

-brian
--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)