[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

Michael Schiller schiller at zaphod.agrijag.com
Wed Mar 27 15:06:41 CST 2002

There are actually 3 classes of powder used in common firearms these
days. Modern smokeless powder is used in 99% of all modern firearms,
then there is black powder that is used in all the antique arms, and
reproductions of them, then there is Pyrodex (are there other makes?)
which is a modern 'smokeless' replacement powder for guns designed for
black powder. It's much safer than traditional black powder, but not
safe enough to keep it's inventor from being killed in an explosion at
the original Pyrodex factory :(

There was another replacement powder that was designed, but never went
into production called Golden Powder. It was supposedly able to be cast
and cartridgeless cartridges would be possible, but something must have
gone wrong with it, as it never went into production. Up until this year
(when I moved to WV I threw out lots of stuff) I had several pages of
info on Golden Powder).

-Mike

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Chad Fernandez wrote:
> >
> > George,
> >
> > When you say smokeless, do you mean the black powder substitutes,
> > available now?  I thought "smokeless" was what was in shells, and black
> > powder is what is used in muzzle loaders?  Do some shells use black
> > powder?
> >

> Some yes.  Cabellas has a modern .45 six-shooter that uses black powder
> cartridges.  Most modern firearms use smokeless powders, but anything
> "classic" or "antique" will use regular old black powder in the
> cartridges.
>
> Kurt

-Mike