[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Tue Mar 26 23:52:37 CST 2002

On Wednesday 27 March 2002 12:17 am, you wrote:
> Damascus steel isn't all that great compared to modern steels, However.
> At least that's what I've heard about it, concerning gun barrels.

you have to consider the kind of stress it's being put under.

Damascus steel is a pattern-welded composite, which is to say that it's not
homogenous.  It has a high degree of elasticity because the different
materials are allowed to deform in ways that compliment each other.

If you apply too great a force to the material it will break.  there's no way
around this other than to use stronger material.

in older firearms, (especially shotguns) pattern-welded steel barrels were
useful because the behavior of the material allowed the manufacturer to use a
thinner wall than a simple mild steel barrel.  The elasticity allowed the
thinner metal to cope well with the very short, crisp combustion of Black
Powders, however they were intended for much much lower pressures than those
generated by Modern Smokless powders (Black Powder Shotshell loads generating
about 12,000 psi with an immediate drop in pressure after ignition, as
opposed to Smokless Powder shotshell loads generating 16,000-25,000 psi with
burn characteristics which often produce a _rise_ in pressure as the slower
burning powder combusts at a geometric increasing rate with the increase in
pressure.)  Modern barrels are as thin (or thinner) than the older
Damascus-style barrels, but they are made of much stronger material.

*Note to spectators* for safety reasons, never use modern smokeless
ammunition in older Damascus barrels.  Someone may tell you that exceptions
can be made, but I say let them be the ones to lose an eye, or a hand, or
their life...  and besides, why risk ruining such a beautiful work of art!

George