[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

Jim Carver j.carver3 at attbi.com
Tue Mar 26 23:51:57 CST 2002

Chad Fernandez wrote:

> Damascus steel isn't all that great compared to modern steels, However.
> At least that's what I've heard about it, concerning gun barrels.
>
> Chad
>
> Sridhar the POWERful wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> >
> > > I see.  One, or both, of the timing gears in my Buick is powdered
> > > metal.  It really doesn't melt together totally??  It's hard to imagine
> > > it being strong, that way.  I wasn't aware that turbine blades were made
> > > that way.  I thought they were usually titanium.
> >
> > It's strong in a similar way to damascus steel being strong.  Pulverizing
> > steel doesn't sinter it.
> >
> > Peace...  Sridhar
>
> --
> Chad Fernandez
> Michigan, USA
This page has a good explanation of the "powered steel process";

http://www.aera.org/Techside/poweredmetal.htm

Ruger Firearms uses this process for it's guns with great success.
Damascus steel, is multiple layers of steel heated and hammer welded
together into a single piece. That's what gives it that distinct wave
pattern. For gun barrels, Black Powder pressures only are considered as
safe operating levels. But in a sword or edged weapon, (where the
damascus  process got its start) it has excellent properties. Such
"cutlery" is highly sought after by collectors.