[rescue] FDDI on Sparc 5 / Indigo2 / DEC3000

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Tue Mar 26 12:37:30 CST 2002

> What FDDI SBus card should I get? It seams that there are different
> available. Is it at all worth to get one? (I don't need FDDI if the card
> / driver congests trafic at 2..3MB/s.[1]) OS in question is NetBSD, but
> this will be replaced by Solaris 8 as soon as I get more RAM for the
> machine. (SS5, 110MHz, 64MB) [2]

S-Bus fddi under NetBSD is still vaporware (regardless of what Dave McGuire
tells you, I'll use it when I see it...).  Under Solaris, Sun's S-Bus FDDI
cards work pretty darn good.  the drivers can be downloaded for free, unlike
the Cisco 301 series cards, and the install is easy,

just download, untar, pkgadd -d, power down, install the card, bring the
machine up, ifconfig plumb nf0 (or whatever the interface name is),
ifconfig the interface and change your config files.

George