[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Mon Mar 25 19:00:44 CST 2002

> Not computer related move but....
>
> Standing on the roof of a house that had 2 rooms fully on fire, trying to
> cut a hole in the roof to get some ventilation going so we could clear
> smoke out....and managing to fall through the roof into part of the house
> that was just beginning to become involved.
>
> Problem #1: I'm in a burning room thats full of smoke and I can't see my
> hand in front of my face.
> Problem #2: I have no air tank to breathe with
> Problem #3: I also have no firehose to push back the impending flames.
>
> First thought:  Where's the door to outside?
> Second thought:  Where would they like one?
>
> Took me the longest 45 seconds of my life to clamber around in the
> room looking for the door.

AHHH!  I had a similar experience..  15 minute crawl along a 3" line up
what seemed to be steps and under tables only to have my SCBA
start ringing and run out..  Solution is of course (by the book) pull your
mask hose and put it down the front of your shirt....
Problem with that is all of the sudden everything get's *really* hot.  Hot
air temp combined with body heat + whatever smoke filters through your
clothes..  Anyway, I got up and ran up front to the hoseman and hung out
there because he was pushing smoke out a window.  At least i could breathe
there..
I know what ya mean when you were looking for a convenient place to *put*
a door :-)

--
-Linc Fessenden