[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Mon Mar 25 18:40:03 CST 2002

> > then the post-adrenaline shakes came, drank some water and went back to moving.
> >
> > it was a GREAT weekend. :)
>
> Hmm.  Adrenaline.  I once had a DECsystem 5810 fall on me from a height of
> almost two feet.  For those who don't know, it's the same,
> chassis/supplies/backplanes as a VAX 6000.  It's heavy.  It was on me for
> about 3/4 seconds.  What I said was, "AAH!".  After that 3/4 second, which
> felt more like half an hour, we rolled the machine into my garage.  I was
> sore for a week afterwards.

Not computer related move but....

Standing on the roof of a house that had 2 rooms fully on fire, trying to
cut a hole in the roof to get some ventilation going so we could clear
smoke out....and managing to fall through the roof into part of the house
that was just beginning to become involved.

Problem #1: I'm in a burning room thats full of smoke and I can't see my
hand in front of my face.
Problem #2: I have no air tank to breathe with
Problem #3: I also have no firehose to push back the impending flames.

First thought:  Where's the door to outside?
Second thought:  Where would they like one?

Took me the longest 45 seconds of my life to clamber around in the
room looking for the door.