[rescue] Accidentally destroying hardware..

Dan Canaan flinters at picarefy.com
Mon Mar 25 16:22:40 CST 2002

Hmm, most expensive....

$40,000 Canon ImageRunner 600 digital copier with scan board, fax, print
board, etc.  Fell down a short flight of stairs... on me! (OUCH!)  Partner
who was running the stair climbing equipment was too short to operate it
safely and I couldn't hold the loose end of the copier fully when he let
go.  It came tumbling down the stairs over me and onto its top.

More amazing (after cleaning up my bloody face and broken glasses, etc),
that we righted the machine, gathered the debris and and broken panels,
found the document feeder where it had cartwheeled down the hallway some
distance, and powered the remains up.

It worked.

I have to give credit to Canon for building a very solid (and heavy!) beast
that can withstand being rolled down a set of stairs and STILL WORK.  Of
course we replaced it with a new model that didn't have all the plastic
covers broken and the carcass went to our repair shop to be used by
technicians for training and repair information.  It's 'totalled' and
written off the books, but it is still serving a role.