[rescue] Thoughts on system noise...

Arthur Wouk awouk at ra.nilenet.com
Mon Mar 25 12:17:41 CST 2002

>From: Bill Vinson <billvinson at nc.rr.com>
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>
>I believe it is the 1GB SCSI not the fan.  I like the sound of system
>fans, but all of the 1GB SCSI drives I have tried are exceeding loud.
>All of the Seagates seem to have a high pitched whine...
>
>And no, all of my PCs and macs are quieter...
>
>I think I need to experiment more with the system drive as that is the
>main issue.
>
>Thanks,
>Bill

i have switched several 1gig and smaller old scsi-2 50pin drives to
ibm drives  with almost complete elimination of noise - this in 411
boxes and a sparc2. it is not the fan, it is the drives. you can get
new pulls of 2gig drives for $38 plus shipping (check pricewatch -
global marketing(?) has the drives). i am collecting old 464meg drives
and one 1gig seagate as doorstops.

not everyone hears the noise. it bothers me, but many older people
whose hearing has gone a bit  can't hear it.