[rescue] Thoughts on system noise...

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sun Mar 24 18:56:58 CST 2002

> > I have recently gotten a Sparc IPX.  I love the little beast, but I have
> > noticed that the fan noise combined with a high pitch whine of the 1GB
> > SCSI drive I put in it can be somewhat annoying (Even when under the
> > desk)... I have been experimenting with multiple drives to quiet it
> > down, but so far none have helped :)  As I hope to do more of this, how
> > do you all deal with system noise?  I have several macs and pcs and of
> > which are fairly quiet, but these older drives seem to be less designed
> > with noise in mind...
>
> An IPX LOUD? LOL. I'm surrounded by four of the little beasties and I can
> assure you that my PCs are louder.

Fans might not be the real problem, though... I have a 1G drive that was
in my HP9000. I bet if I put it in *anything* within earshot, it'd drive
you nuts. Sounds like a high-pitched knife grinder. It's currently
"resting" on a shelf in the basement. ;)

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine
ssandau at bath.tmac.com