[rescue] Slightly OT

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Sun Mar 24 17:51:10 CST 2002

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Michael Free wrote:

> > > 1. The Hoarder - has three or more of every Unix workstation ever made.
> Would not
> > > part with any parts or systems under any circumstances, even though
> he/she won't
> > > ever even boot them.
> > >
> > > 2. The Newbie - just bought a Sparc 5 off of ebay, and wants free parts
> under the
> > > guise of "Which operating system should I run?"
> > >
> > > 3. The Zealot - Only runs one operating system on every workstation
> (Dec, Sun, whatever!)
> > > he/she owns, and is trying to get everyone to switch.
> > >
> > > 4. The Admin - when you make a post asking how to enable ipforwarding,
> he/she posts
> > > three pages about internet security.
> > >
> > > 5. The Developer - when you ask him/her how to enable ipforwarding, they
> post six
> > > pages of code on how to do it - For Linux, BSD, HP, and Solaris of
> course!
> > >
> > > 6. The Engineer - When you ask how to make the picture on that old
> monitor sharper,
> > > they post detailed instructions on which capacitor to replace, along
> with a URL of
> > > the schematics for the equipment. If their monitor turns fuzzy, they
> re-design it,
> > > of course!
>
> 7. The Curator - desperately seeks one example of everything, no matter how
> old, and can tell you exactly why it's important... often has
> computer/business electronics equipment rivaling his/her own age...

7 is closer to where I fit, but what about the:

8. Enthusiast - collects every unix system that they can possably find a
use for.  Interested in multiple versions of unix to learn with.  Thinks
it's neat to have them all running on his home lan on multiple
archetectures and machines that originally cost several times more than
his house.  Often refered to by his friends or neighbors simply as the
"computer geek next door".

--
-Linc Fessenden