[rescue] Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Thu Mar 21 11:44:34 CST 2002

I exchanged some email with this guy... from the impression I got,
not all the boards were functional, even though he states that
the box itself was functional before he disembowled it (most notably
the CPU, which apparently has one or more bad/missing CPU chips,
and possibly the VCAM board...). This did not give me a warm fuzzy,
along with the fact that he was unable/unwilling to provide part
numbers for the boards he had.

As a result, I have to say that he struck me as not
terribly more than a PC-type who wanted to impress his friends with
a fancy beer cooler... same sort who would take an antique clock
and paint it bright pink to match the bathroom. Anyone who collects
antique clocks has seen this at one time or another... it makes your
hair stand on end 8-(

BTW, I'm probably going to bid on the parts, even with the unknowns
in this situation, if the price doesn't rise to an absurd level.
I need 'em to try reviving an Onyx.

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com