[rescue] Re: Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Simon Pigot simon at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
Wed Mar 20 18:12:18 CST 2002

> From: Brian Hechinger <wonko at arkham.ws>
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 08:11:11PM +1200, ghub005 at xtra.co.nz wrote:
> >
> > Do you have any recommendations for cheaply upgrading one of these systems? I'd like to run fairly intensive
> simulation software and would like to get one of the 4-way R4400 boards - but it seems unlikely that I'll ever get
> one for much less than 1900-2000 dollars. I'd appreciate any guidance you can give me.
>
> i don't know what quad R4400 boards go for, but if you look, you can find quad
> R10K boards on ebay for anywhere from $700-$1200 each with $1200 generally
> being a buy it now, or at least a high reserve for those people who want to
> squeeze every last penny out of the deal.  if quad R4400 boards really are $2k
> then you need to get quad R10K boards since they are cheaper. ;)

Yep. Another suggestion would be to chase down a Challenge L backplane,
you can then run three IP19s, IP21s or IP25s. I saw an L backplane with
power boards for $100USD on ebay a week or so ago.

IP21s (ie. dual R8000 @ 75 or 90MHz) are especially good value for those
interested in fp work.

Cheers,
Simon

--
Simon Pigot
simon at dpiwe.tas.gov.au
GIS Unit, Parks and Wildlife Service,
Level 6, 134 Macquarie St,                        Ph: +61 3 62 338357
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 7001                  Fax: +61 3 62 332744