[rescue] SGI Power Challenge XL update + misc auction treasure

ghub005 at xtra.co.nz ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Mar 19 00:52:16 CST 2002

Hi Guys

Just an update on the SGI Challenge Power XL that I posted about earlier. I went to the auction today and unfortunately missed out on the SGI - I was the under bidder at around 1,000USD. I'm a bit disappointed as the guy who bought it only bid because he thought 'that it looked cool and might be a bit of fun'. He really doesn't know anything about SGI stuff (though he isn;t completely stupid) and after I explained that the server wouldn't actually work without a memory card offered me the system (without the rack) for around 850USD. I said I'd think about it but I'm really not sure about this as without the rack the system will never again be complete.

Is this offer reasonable? Should I offer him 1000USD to take it in a complete state off his hands? If it helps, I am able to upgrade this box with the memory card in my Challenge DM, and an Extreme Graphics Console for an additional 300USD.

N.B. The Extreme Graphics Console kit includes:

030-0536-xxx GCAM for IO4, 013-1248-00x GIO <-> VME  adaptor for Extreme gfx set,
3 board Extreme gfx set (fitted to the GIO<->VME adaptor), all cables + external bulkhead panels for monitor, stereo glasses and genlock.

I read the posts about the value of SGI Origin 200 systems with some annoyance as a dual node failover cluster (each node = 180MHz, 128MB, 9GB) and dual SGI Vaults (each with dual 9GB) in an SGI challenge rack along with a complete IRIX 6.5 media kit was sold for 1100USD. Sounds like I missed a good deal - but I did spend my money on something else (see below). The Origin 200 system was complete and clean (though one of the Vault skins need a new hinge) and I booted into the PROM through a serial console and was able to check the hardware. Before you ask, this system didn't have a Cray Gigachannel installed.

So what did I get? Well believe it or not, I got a very good condition HP Visualise J6000 dual 550MHz workstation with 2GB of RAM, 18GB 10Krpm disk, FX10 graphics card, USB keyboard and mouse, HP-UX license and media kit, and some CAD software licenses for *dum te dum* 2,000USD. Can you believe it...I got a complete, working, professional unix workstation for less than the cost of a PC.

I also got a complete SGI Challenge DM with a single 150MHz CPU, 3*9GB + 3*4GB, six channels of FW diff SCSI, 2GB of ram (well so the catalogue said - but I don't actually think that's true as I checked inside and it has only got 8 modules. I believe this means it only has 128MB or 512MB) all for only 300USD.

Finally I got a single Indigo 2 with a 200MHz R4400, 128MB, 2.1GB, mouse/keyboard, 19" SGI monitor (GDM-20E21) for around 220USD. Unfortunately I was so surprised at getting the J6000 that I didn't realise these were being auctioned and missed the opportunity to buy another 2 at this price.

I hope this has been of interest,

Gavin Hubbard