[rescue] HP vs. Cisco

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Mon Mar 18 16:12:01 CST 2002

So we are looking at either a Cisco 4006 or an HP 4108gl. Here are the
specs, what do you guys think?

Cisco 4006
Catalyst 4000 Chassis (6-Slot),Suprvsr II,(2)AC PS, Fans
2xCatalyst 4000 10/100 Auto Module,  48-Ports (RJ-45)
Catalyst 4000 Gigabit Ethernet Module, 6-Ports (GBIC)
6x1000BASE-SX  Short Wavelength  GBIC (Multimode only)
Catalyst 4000 AC Redundant Power Supply
$25520

HP 4108gl
HP ProCurve Switch Bundle (3x24-10/100, 1x3 Gig Tranciever, Chassis)
2xHP ProCurve GL Module 24-port 10/100
HP ProCurve GL module tranceiver
4xHP ProCurve tranceiver Gig-SX
HP ProCurve redundant Power Supply
$16554

I kind of like the idea of Cisco, but that is just based on what I have
heard from friends. The HP is cheaper, but not as expandable. With this
configuration, we would have two free blades in the Cisco, but only one in
the HP,

Has anyone used both HP and Cisco and can comment on the administration?

thanks
shawn