[rescue] Origin 200 Rescue

Michael Dombrowski legodude at hammycorp.com
Mon Mar 18 14:40:19 CST 2002

On 18 Mar 2002 at 12:01, rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> I have an chance to pick up a Origin 200 very cheaply from a MS
> networking shop that is gonna do bad things to it unless I buy it.
> Being MS idiots they have no idea what the system specs are but I can
> inspect it later today. How does one get to a hinv on these machines?
> Is it just 9600/8/N/1 with a null-modem cable? Is there a break to get
> into the PROM if the thing is booting? Will Irix's bootup screen tell
> me system specs?

Thanks to all those who replied to my questions about how to get
specs of the machine. I went and inspected it today but did not
purchase it. The machine was a 180mhz/2mb cache with 256mb ram. It
also had a tape drive, cdrom, 6x 9gb disks and included lots of the
original manuals and whatnot. The front door was broken off and the
feet also, the men said this happened in shipping and it was never
powered on. Other than that is was in very good condition. The guys
who had it were insurance people, they had no idea what they had.
They were telling me how it sold for $17,000 a year ago and was still
worth a whole lot. The men wanted $1000 for the system which I
thought was pretty high considering that
250mhz/256mb/9gb/Creator/cdrom U2s are selling for $250 and U60s with
300mhz/512mb/2x9gb/Creator/21"/cdrom are selling for $900. I tried
bargaining with them but they wouldn't budge a bit. I think it'll
probably sit there for many more months. Thus ends my story.

Mike