[rescue] FS: Lucent 802.11b AP/gateway and PCMCIA card

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Mon Mar 18 11:47:45 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 06:40:26AM -0800, Michael Schiller wrote:
    [snip]
> laptop is provided to him by his school, and he doesn't
> have admin access to it. It has a wireless 802.11b pcmcia
    [snip]

If you're motivated, you can use ERD to reset the password. Costs $399.
http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp
I haven't tried it under Win2k, but this free hack worked with NT4...

> Is there a way (buy purchasing an access point?) that I
> can give him access to my network without changing
> settings in his machine?

Maybe. If they're doing straight DHCP then it will work. You can use an
access point that has a DHCP server or run the AP as a bridge and run
the DHCP server on something. Another idea is pop a wireless card into
an x86-based *nix box (I like OpenBSD) and use it as wireless
router/firewall and serve the DHCP requests from that.

> Do I need to know what IP range his card is looking for?

Probably not. Odds are good it's just issuing a DHCP request and taking
the first answer it receives.

> (I've never used any of the wireless stuff, and don't
> really know anything about them). Any help would be
> appreciated.
    [snip]

No problem.

- Ross