[rescue] Urgent - 12-way SGI Power Challenge XL server, please help

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Mar 18 10:52:12 CST 2002

ghub005 at xtra.co.nz wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> This is my first post to the list so please forgive me if I break any of the list's protocols.
>
> I have an opportunity to rescue a 12-way SGI Power Challenge XL system tomorrow afternoon (12 * 200MHz, 6 x 9GB diff SCSI). It is a complete system except for one thing - it is missing the system memory board from inside the main server cabinet.
>
> In order to determine if this system is worth rescuing I need to know the following: If I also get an SGI DM Series challenge server with 2GB of ram, can I reuse its memory card inside the SGI Power Challenge XL system? They look similar - but this is something I've never tried before.
> I have about 20 hours to find out if this can be done. Please let me know what you think.

Gavin,

To be britally honest - the memory board is the least of your worries.
Honestly.  Go for it, get it, rescue it.  If you don't want it, someone
else does.  Truly, the lone lmissing board can't be that difficult to
find.

That system is truly a kickass machine, don't let it go just because of
one missing piece.

Kurt