[rescue] Can't install gcc on ultra 30

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Mar 16 14:51:22 CST 2002

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002, Eric Hall wrote:

> Ben trying this for a while. Here is waht happens. Can someone point me
> to a clue?
>
> Processing package instance <SMCgcc> from </export/home/eric/gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local>
>
> gcc
> (sparc) 2.95.3
> cpio: Cannot write "reloc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/cc1plus", errno 28, No space left on device

> disk space

> # df -k

> /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1      48727   12396   31459    29%    /var

It's actually what is says is happening...  Your /var filesystem is VERY small.
pkgadd by default uses /var to unpack a package.  It fills up and fails.
Since pkgadd is well behaved, it cleans up after itself.  So, you don't
see a full filesystem.

If you have more space somewhere, you may want to move /var/spool somewhere
else and link to it from /var.  That should help you out.  If this is a
freshly installed system (i.e. you can reinstall it without much pain) I'd
consider reinstalling with a bigger /var partition.

--Kurt