[rescue] RE: Looking for 15Amp extension cord

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Mar 16 10:50:31 CST 2002

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez <lefa at cats.ucsc.edu> writes ...

> Hi! I am looking for a source of 15Amp extension cords, I need to have one
> of at least 10feet, with male output at one end and female at the other.
>
> The plug looks like any standard US 3 prong plug, but one of the flat
> prongs is rotated 90 degrees.
>
> I.e.
>
> normal US plug:
>
> |   |
> |   |

> 15Amp plug:
>
> |   __

> IT seems that the HW stores in the area have never seen such a plug!

Yeah they have, but not for 110v service.  Those plugs are usually used for
220V 20Amp; I've got one on my espresso machine.  Extension cords for 220V
are usually considered A Bad Thing, so the chances of finding one already
made up are probably slim.  Hardware stores usually have this stuff as
components, though.

A real electrical supply house will have the plugs and sockets, appropriate
wire to make up your own extension cord, and can tell you what gauge wire to
use for what cord lengths, etc.

Be sure you know what you're doing, only connect this to the appropriate
circuit, have the right fuses or breakers, etc.

-Shel