[rescue] best Cisco to use for T1?

Lauren Child lauren at laurenchild.net
Sat Mar 16 10:35:28 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> I have a T-1 line coming and want to know what folks feel about the
> various Cisco's that are out there.
>
> I don't need anything other than something that takes a T1 line as
> delivered by the telco and into which I plug an ethernet cable.
>
> Are the 1604R's etc any good?

A 1604R should be ideal.  In fact you may be just as well with a 1604
which you may find cheaper (the R's run faster as the run IOS from RAM
instead of flash).  The only thing to bare in mind is that the 1600s dont
support all of the IOS commands - they run a subset - it doesnt make much
difference on the lower models as they dont run vast amounts usually
anyway, but if theres some specific function you want it to perform then
it may be worth checking that it supports it.

> I plan to significantly increase my bandwidth in 6-9 months so am
> focused on least cost for now.  Then I'll buy a 7000 or 12000 series
> :-)
>
> Any suggestions and experiences welcome.

If you are going to be buying a bigger router then anyway you may be as
well buying a 1700 series router and a t1 wic card, as then you could
reuse the wic card in your new router (assuming it takes wic cards :)

1600s are cheap on ebay tho as there plenty of them around (and anyone
doing the certifications wants a 2500 or above), so that may be your best
bet.

As an alternative look for a 2524 router with the t1 card in it.  Very few
people want 2524s as they are modular and the modules are about as rare as
rocking horse manure, but if you can find one with the t1 module then you
get a full 2500 for your money rather than the 1600.

TTFN
Lauren

Lauren Child, lauren at laurenchild.net
"It may be very unwise indeed, but I'm a scientist, its what I do"