[rescue] WTB: Ultrix media

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Mar 15 14:02:43 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Scott Norwood wrote:

> I just inherited a DECstation 5000 that appears to be running a very
> screwy install of Ultrix 4.2a.  I would like to rebuild it from scratch
> but I don't have the media.  Does anyone have this or know where to get
> it?  Can I even get it on CD, or will I be forced to hunt down a TK50
> tape drive somewhere?  Should I just give up and run NetBSD (despite
> the fact that I already have it on a Sparc and a Vax)?

I know you can get Ultrix CDs, I've seen them.  However, the last release
of Ultrix that I'm aware of is 4.5, and that was new back in '93 or so.
So, if you are going to have it exposed to the net at all, I'd go with
NetBSD.  If you just want to run the old OS, or want to support one of
the funky graphics cards only supported under Ultrix, go for it... but
it's pretty long in the tooth and you'll want to replace many parts.

--Kurt