[rescue] a11-170 (Ultra 1) with nothing

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Mar 15 09:22:01 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Mark Carton wrote:

> I've been passed an A11-170 (Ultra 1) with keyboard & mouse, but nothing else.
> There's no obvious video connection.  Connections are standard with an
> additional ethernet card in SB2.

> I've been asked to get it working, but am failing to get ANYTHING out of it.
> I've got a dumb vt100 terminal (old HP) and tried <stop>D, with no luck, and
> various PC's, hubs etc, and the password and IP is stuck on the front, but
> can't get a ping let alone a prompt, screen etc

> Any suggestions?

First question:  Have you unplugged the keyboard and mouse?
  If they are plugged in, I'm not sure if it would still send to serial
  with no video card (I'd hope so), but eliminate them from the puzzle.

Second question:  You say no obvious video, but are you familiar with the
  Sun 13W3 connector?

Hopefully we can narrow it down from there.

--Kurt