[rescue] What's a fair price??

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Fri Mar 15 08:26:16 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:11:38PM -0500, Michael Schiller wrote:
    [snip]
> I'm about to sell a couple of Sparc-20's to a company, and
> they've asked about support. I have a feeling they're
> going to want me be a remote sysadmin on these machines.
> What is a fair price to charge on a monthly basis for
> admining a couple of Sparc 20's?
    [snip]

I don't know if this is going to stoke some flames but here are my
thoughts from when I've done side work...

    * Always assume that it is professional work, even for friends
      and family.
    * Determine beforehand what they will be running. Try to steer them
      toward good solutions and don't agree to support bad ones. Spend
      the time doing the documentation. Give them a copy. Remember this
      is billable.
    * In writing, clearly state your level of support and what is
      included. Be specific about hours, response time and coverage.
      Include the names of who can authorize/request service.
    * Bill in whole hours, one hour minimum. It always takes more time
      than you think. This also helps stop the dozen calls a day for
      stupid things and/or the same thing twice. If you have to go
      onsite and you're not already in the neighborhood, bill at a
      reduced rate for the travel time (this can eat up a lot of time if
      you're not careful).
    * Bill on a net 30 schedule. Clearly state what happens if they fail
      to pay on time (I've been forced to wait as long as 90 days
      because the sums were too small to warrant going to court).
      Reserve the right to demand full payment at completion of services
      if they have failed to meet the net 30 terms in the past.
    * Charge double if someone breaks something that was working. Charge
      extra if you've fixed it before and they break it again. If you
      have to support something that you consider a bad decision (above)
      and cannot avoid it charge accordingly. Put all this in writing
      before you start. Seriously.
    * Adjust your rates up slightly if someone else has root and is
      day-to-day admin. They'll break something and call you.
    * Good customers can buy blocks of time at a reduced rate.

- Ross