[rescue] News from the Sun Front: Graphics

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Thu Mar 14 21:53:27 CST 2002

On Thursday 14 March 2002 09:51 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 09:47:17PM -0500, George Adkins wrote:
> > yeah, baby...  Gimme an Ultra 80 with one of these...
> > a 320 Meg Framebuffer
> > http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/graphics/xvr1000/
> > (I hope this isn't too far off topic...)
>
> Why an Ultra 80, and not the SunBlade 2000?  I'd much prefer dual 900 or
> 1.05Ghz US-IIIs instead of quad 450 US-IIs..

Um, let's see...
I'd rather have the quad, personally, but I can see where you're coming
from...  what the heck is an UltraSparc III Cu ?
Does the Cu stand for Celeron unit?  If this is another one of those
castrated processors like the Ultrasparc IIi or IIIe, then I'm not
interested.
The 8 meg cache per proc is acceptable, I'm not sure about the FC-AL disk
thing, I'd rather that it had a good old fashioned U2W or U160 SCSI bus in
the thing... Does it? or is Sun expecting me to pay another thousand dollars
for their PCI SCSI card, so I can hook my external SCSI CDRW or DLT to it...
Uh-Oh, yep, SCSI only if you buy the ultrawide PCI card...
8 memory slots, hmm does it do 4-way bit interleaving? I doubt it.
Oh Boy! it uses creepy proprietary 232 pin SDRAM not-DIMMs, so all the 128
Meg 200 pin Ultra memory I already have is Useless!  Yay!

No, I'd rather _not_ have the sun's latest Packard Bell ^H^H^H I mean Ultra 5
^H^H^H I mean cheap PCI workstation.  (or was that the BunSplayed 1000)
 : )

George