[rescue] Re: Hardware RAID on modern Sun equipment?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Mar 12 23:37:55 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 04:10:09PM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to get a sense of what Sun's offering these days. As far as
> > hardware RAID goes, what's out there? Do the Netras do RAID in software on
> > those IDE disks? How about the Ultras or the Enterprise series?
>
> You can do software raid on any disks pretty much, using Solstice
> Disksuite under Solaris.
>
> For hardware RAID you're looking at an A1000 at the bottom of the line, or
> something bigger (T3 array, or the really bigger stuff). There isn't
> really any internal RAID on the Sun servers that I've been able to find.
> Definitely nothing on the board like some of the PCs out there. It's all
> going to be outside the box.

I don't know what the A1000 goes for, but you may also want to
consider the SCSI to SCSI RAID controllers.  These are platform
independent controllers that you hook SCSI drives up to.  They look
like a single SCSI drive to your machine, and control the SCSI drives
themselves.

I bought a 2 channel DAC960SX from Mylex on eBay - $88.  New
controllers that do U160 or UW2 are about $1000 + for the device,
though they usually have several distinct channels going out to the
drives.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net