[rescue] No more Cray MTAs?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Mar 12 07:51:37 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 08:16:35AM -0500, David Rouse wrote:
> According to the Register:

> They will do Dell clusters instead of MTAs. And the Register says the
> MTA architecture is much better than any collection of computers,
> quoting Terra:
>
> "Regardless of the name, they all suffer the same basic problem: a truly
> horrible programming model."
>
> Hmm, so maybe a *lot* of Crays hitting ebay as the suits dump the
> dead-end machines for the next new thing.

Those are the MTAs.  Apparently they have only sold 2 MTA-2 machines, and
I'm guessing they haven't sold very many of the original MTAs either, so even
if they do get dumped, we probably won't see many of them.  I always thought
they looked like cool machines, but still, they were no CM-2.

The register is funny though.  Check out:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/23983.html
where they poke Sun for being beaten at enterprise storage by furniture
salesmen.

I should read the register more often

--
Joshua D. Boyd