[rescue] Re: SCO Openserver help...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Mar 11 10:10:07 CST 2002

In Message: 1 To: geeks at sunhelp.org;, rescue at sunhelp.org; From:
nimitz at owc.net Mike says ...

> Once again I find that a new challenge has been dropped in my lap.
>
> The "corporate" office of the company I'm consulting for has, as of today,
> said that they're bringing by a Compaq SCO Openserver to have me look at
> getting the data off it.  This is all billable time but it's still a
> surprise in as far as my skills are concerned - having seen SCO operate
> only a couple of times.  Thus I'm currently Googling my little heart out
> for SCO Beginner Guide goodness.
>
> How different is System V versus say Solaris or 'BSD?  Is it something
> that should feel fairly familiar to me or is it going to be as alien to me
> as say (no flames meant) VMS?
>
> Anybody got a good link to some info?
>
> Thanks in advance!

The SCO stuff I use every day is SysV-R3.2-derived.  Things are in weird
places, but it's manageable.

I don't know a lot about it, since I'm doing development work that doesn't
require me to do much at the OS level, and we don't use the SCO GUI at all,
but I'll be glad to render what aid I can.

-Shel

--
Sheldon T. Hall
shel at cmhc.com