[rescue] Quadra 840av questions

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Mar 10 01:11:48 CST 2002

> What are these .smi.bin files I keep seeing.  For instance, one is

Those are Disk Copy self-mounting images in MacBinary format.  Get Stuffit
Expander to decode MacBinary, and fetch Disk Copy to mount the images.
Disk Copy is here:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Disk_Copy/

Snag version 4.2, run the .sea file.  Then download 6.3.3 and write the
image to floppy.  Install 6.3.3, and you'll be able to mount those images.

If there's no installer (it's been a while--I don't remember), just plop
the program somewhere convenient, you know about Macs and their lovely
ability to locate programs anywhere.

> System_7.0.1.smi.bin.  The directories don't have text files explaining
> what I do with these files.  The files usually are too large to dd off to
> a floppy, but they aren't ISOs either (unless they are ISOs by another name),

They're probably images containing multiple folders, each one representing
a floppy from the original distribution.

If 4.2 won't read the smi, email me, and I'll send you an sea of Disk Copy
6.3.3.

--Jonathan