[rescue] Quadra 840av questions

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Mar 10 00:58:53 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 01:34:17AM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 03:32:50AM -0800, Fogg, James wrote:
> > > My first question is, does anyone want to send me a set of
> > >older CDs? I need something with Quicktime 2.0 or older.
> >
> > You can D/L every O/S from Apple.com
>
> What are these .smi.bin files I keep seeing.  For instance, one is
> System_7.0.1.smi.bin.  The directories don't have text files explaining
> what I do with these files.  The files usually are too large to dd off to
> a floppy, but they aren't ISOs either (unless they are ISOs by another name),
> so I can't make boot CDs.

They are Apple-specific self-mounting disk images.

IIRC you can download all the ones as a set in one directory and when
you click on the first one of a series it grabs all the other images
and checks the internal CRC to ensure that it is not corrupted.

Mac OS should recognize them properly.  You need to download in binary
if downloading via FTP.  I don't know of any tools to manipulate them
under DOS or Unix.

./patrick