[rescue] Quadra 840av questions

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 9 05:32:50 CST 2002

~ My first question is, does anyone want to send me a set of
~ older CDs? I need
~ something with Quicktime 2.0 or older.

You can D/L every O/S from Apple.com

~ Next question.  In MacTCP, I set it to get it's information
~ by DHCP, but it
~ isn't getting anything.  The light on the Asante AAUI lights
~ up, as does the
~ proper light on the switch.  What else do I need to do to
~ make this work?

It has been too many years since I played with MacTCP. Also, an older O/S
won't have MacTCP (there is a feature matrix on Apple.com). I do recall the
dhcp worked painlessly. You should check the following:
1) Is dhcp REALLY working? Can other devices get addresses assigned and can
they release/renew them?
2) Is your switch in spanning-tree portfast mode? The trick with Macs is
that they bring their network interfaces up real early in the boot process
and look for an AppleTalk Network Number and DHCP. Many switches hold a
newly-linked port in blocking mode (no packets forwarded to the switch
fabric) for up to 1/2 minute while the Spanning Tree Protocol determines
that there are no topology loops (a devastating condition for all attached
devices, causes broadcast storms). While blocked, your Mac cannot find a
Network Number or perform DHCP. In spanning-tree portfast mode the switch
will immediatly forward packes on a newly-linked port. One test for this is
to find out how the O/S allows you to release and renew dhcp (in that
order). Release any address first then try to renew your dhcp lease. Since
the machine will have been up for a while, the STP-Blocking issue won't
exist.
3) Sorry, basic ASSumption here... you *can* move packets on the network,
right? Or is the network card/switchport dead? (again, sorry to ask such a
stupid question, but you'd be surprised how many people don't check).