[rescue] Punch the Monkey (was: SS2 memory?)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Mar 8 14:00:54 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 02:39:58PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Idiots in the service business should know better than to customise
> their services right out of usability.
>
> If I were you I'd look for more intelligent people to pay my good money
> to.  If I'm buying a service then I want one that suits my needs!
>
> Note that if you don't like HTTP cookies, then J$ is only about an order
> of magnitude worse.....  :-)

Javascript is handy, but it shouldn't be required.  For ASP style sites
(ASP == Application Service Provider, ASP != MS Crap), cookies seem like
a good idea.  In theory the same can be done using form posts for everypage,
but then you have to either make everything a button element or require
javascript (or make a page that determins whether you have javascript or
not, then sets which output is given based on the results).  Personally, for
application style sites, a session cookie is just a plain sensible way to do
things.  In general, I'm happy to allow session cookies for most sites.  I
dislike permenant cookies for the most part, except the NY Times site (that
they require a login is a pain, but I'm willing to make the trade) and other
semi-"subscription" news and trade sites.  The three that I allow permenant
cookies for are the NY Times and Gamasutra sites.  Well, I don't go to far
out of my way to prevent other sites from setting cookies that I don't want
them to.  I should just get a proxy setup that does this for me.

> The only Java applet I've even wanted to try to run recently was the
> Insight thing to look at the maps at www.davidrumsey.com, but I couldn't
> even be bothered (I don't have a java interpreter installed by default
> with Mozilla).  I now realise it would have been even more of a pain
> given that they only supply .exe and .bin packed versions of their crap.

There is one java applet that I want to run (but the sysadmin refuses to
install it on the web server).  That is the java ssh client applet.  But, the
CS sysadmin won't install it.  That is something I intend to install on the
machine I configuring to colo.

--
Joshua D. Boyd