[rescue] Silicon Graphics Iris Crimson 4,400 RISC 150 Mhz

Andreas Backhaus andreas at pisec.de
Fri Mar 8 10:39:43 CST 2002

> >   Although harder to find, there is IRIX 5.3+XFS. So, even on 5.3
> >   you4re not always limited to EFS.
>
> Interesting, I haven't seen such a beast.

  Yes, I'm still after it myself.

> >   It4s just called sashIP17 (or was that sash.IP17?) and fx.IP17, you
> >can4t use sashARCS because Crimson doesn4t have an ARCS PROM. So
> >booting your Crimson and running fx from the PROM should look like
> >this:
> >
> >   boot -f dksc(0,Y,8)sashIP17 dksc(0,Y,7)stand/fx.IP17 --x
>
> This will hang.  On *ANY* IP17.  the 6.2 cds have a known bug in the
> fx.IP17, google on it.

   Well, not on any IP17. It worked on my Crimson Elan and so did it on
two Crimson VGXTs a friend of mine owns (from the same CD set). You're
right, I found a thread on comp.sys.sgi.hardware about fx.IP17 problems,
but I didn't have those problems. It's been a while I installed 6.2 on my
machine but I can't remember having done anything special to get it
working. And it was a clean install of 6.2 on a fresh disk from sash just
like outlined above. And yes, I fx'ed the disk from fx.IP17. I remember it
took a looong time for fx to come up, but it finally did.

> >   Blender is 6.5 only nowadays. You need to find an older version that
> >runs on 6.2 - they even had both an IRIS GL and an OpenGL version back
> >then.
>
> It still works great.

  I didn't try a newer version on the Crimson. Personally I never found
Blender's interface worth wasting time on. Just my opinion though.

Cheers
Andreas