[rescue] Punch the Monkey (was: SS2 memory?)

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Thu Mar 7 18:53:58 CST 2002

> > Subject: Re: [rescue] SS2 memory?
> >
> > I'm in the middle of turning my SS2 into a caching proxy.
>
> A caching HTTP proxy?  That's one thing I don't think an SS2 would be
<snip>

> If you have a high-speed connection and only a few users then a local
> caching HTTP proxy won't do you much good even if it's running on a much
> more capable machine.

I personally found Squid useful for doing things like replacing (with blank
gray bars) all traffic coming from  ad.* ads.* *.doubleclick.net
*.flycast.com, etc.

Sped up the loading of most webpages noticeably when I was on a 33.6 dialup
line, not to mention eliminating the aggravation of those f#@%*#g banner ads.
(especially punch the monkey, I'd like to find the idiot that came up with
THAT stupid and annoying thing and punch *him*)