[rescue] SS2 memory?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Mar 7 01:33:47 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, March 7, 2002 at 01:47:32 (-0500), Eric Webb wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] SS2 memory?
>
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone still run any kind of load on their SS2's
> and if so, what?

Mine is still our main SMTP, DNS, FTP, POP, and one of the NTP servers too!
It also runs SSH and has shell accounts for several of our friends.

I still do a fair bit of compiling and testing on it too, though that'll
change as soon as I get around to upgrading all my NetBSD/sparc machines.

It works just fine -- not the fastest CPU in the world, but with 64MB
RAM it just keeps on chugging with normal tasks.  In some ways it feels
faster at normal unixy things than a Pentium/133 with as much RAM.

> Trying to decide whether or not to leave it on.  My tiny office can't stand
> any more heat production.  (That's almost worth a separate topic... how to
> deal with all the heat from the golden oldies.)

They're pretty insignificant compared to even PCs, what with only an 85W PS.

If you have older disks and other such stuff attached externally to it
then you might find they're the real heat (and noise) producers!

Mine's downstairs in one of the server cabinets though, and it has a 4U
disk chassis with _all_ of it's peripherals (no internal disks -- to
keep the load low on the PS and help extend its lifetime).

--
								Greg A. Woods