[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Tue Mar 5 13:07:07 CST 2002

> >> My ignorance of Appletalk will show now... Can you use a Mac with an ethernet
> >> card installed as a bridge?
> >

> > Ooh, I'm waiting for an answer to this myself.  Got a couple of IIci'x that
> > have ethernet cards in them that have both been online at one time or
> > another, but would be a great bridge to the rest of the minimacs laying
> > about here.  I'd love to get mini web servers on the macs and have one of
> > the IIci's be the bridge to the rest of the world.
>
> yeah, I think the thing you need for making a printer visible to appletalk
> over ethernet is called, "laserwriter bridge". the thing you need to bridge
> the localtalk<--->e-net is called "localtalk bridge". The latter used to be
> really hard to find on the apple support site, but I think i have a copy of
> it somewhere. I don't know what os it was last supported under. They are
> just control panels IIRC.

>From the Apple website (finally found it...)

"The Apple LocalTalk Bridge is an unsupported control panel that bridges
a LocalTalk network to another network selected from the Network or
AppleTalk control panels. This solution allows for connectivity to
higher-speed networks (for example, Ethernet, Infrared, or Token Ring)
while maintaining the ability to print to LocalTalk-only LaserWriter
printers or share files with PowerBook computers that lack high-speed
network capabilities. Similarly, when connecting to an Ethernet- or
Token Ring-only network, the LocalTalk Bridge provides a way for
LocalTalk-only PowerBook computers or Newton MessagePad communications
devices to gain access to network services."

I started searching here:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/downloads.html
and had to create an account to get to the download...

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine
ssandau at bath.tmac.com