[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 4 16:04:16 CST 2002

~ > Conventions:
~ > Protocol, layer 3 on native interface = AppleTalk
~ > Protocol, layer 1+2 = PhoneNet (the native interface in the
~ early Macs)
~ > Protocol, layer 3 on Ethernet = EtherTalk.
~ >
~ > And yes, starting somewhere in System 7 you could use IP
~ and Ether/AppleTalk
~ > together. There were several flavors of software for IP on
~ early Macs, Open
~ > Transport being the most confusing and most supported one.
~
~ OK. Thanks. I guess what I am talking about is properly
~ described as an
~ AppleTalk/EtherTalk gateway, then. I'll let you know if
~ that's what this
~ Dayna box does. I think it is...

Actually, I think I made a mistake. The native interface is, I believe,
called LocalTalk.