[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Mon Mar 4 10:12:31 CST 2002

> ~ Pretty cool stuff. I may need to set up an Apple Talk network, since I
> ~ now have 4 working Macs.
>
> You haven't had a Mac network until you've done AppleTalk. My first Macs in
> college were on a giant AppleTalk network. Slow, predictable, native and
> affordable (in those days ethernet was killer expensive).
>
> I have been looking for an AppleTalk <-> Ethernet bridge (cheap/free, see my
> "cheap" post in geeks), so I can connect my 4 Mac SE, SE/30's to the rest of
> the world. I actually like AppleTalk.

I used to admin a small AppleTalk network several years ago. Forgot most
of what I used to know about it... I don't recall it being overly
complex. ;) Makes me think I could make it work now.

The gateway is something that I'm trying to get, too. I have a Dayna
Port-something or sonething-Port unit that seems to have ethernet and
AppleTalk. (I picked it up at the dump in the town I recently moved out
of. I probably miss the "Recycling Barn" the most from that town...)
Anyway, I downloaded the setup disk for it, and I'll try to make it run
tonight. The II ci I picked up has System 7.1 on it and lots of graphics
software, but no speed or ethernet connection. The AppleTallk/Etehrnet
bridge would be great. Sorry I don't have two of them... :(

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine
ssandau at bath.tmac.com